This week we finished “Genesis” the biggest book in the bible with fifty chapters.
Monday– Genesis 46:2-4
Scripture- ” And God spoke to Israel in a vision at night and said “Jacob Jacob” – “Here I am” he replied. “I am God, the God of your father” he said. “Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there. I will go down to Egypt with you, and I will surely bring you back again. And Joseph’s own hand will close your eyes.”
- Israel had always walked with God and been a faithful servant, so God spoke to him to reassure him to go to Egypt.
- Being a faithful servant had rewards and allowed Israel to have direct speech with God.
- So by me walking faithfully with the Lord I might hope to one day hear his words.
Tuesday– Genesis 47:28-31
Scripture- “Jacob lived in Egypt seventeen years, and the years of his life were one hundred and forty-seven. When the time drew near for Israel to die, he called his son Joseph and said to him ” If I have found favor in your eyes, put your hand under my thigh and promise me you will show me kindness and faithfulness. Do not bury me in Egypt but when I rest with my fathers, carry me out of Egypt and bury me where they are buried”
“I will do as you say” he said, “Swear me to me” Jacob said. Then Joseph swore to him, and Israel worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff”
- Jacob moved to Egypt to be with Joseph even though his heart belonged in Canaan.
- Jacob made Joseph swear an oath to bury his back in his home land.
- Jacob went to Egypt to be with his son because God promised him all would be right.
Wednesday– Genesis 48:18-20
Scripture- “Joseph said to him (Israel) “No My father, this one is the first-born; put your right hand on his head” But his father refused and said “I know my son, I know. He too will become a people, and he too will become great. Nevertheless, his younger brother will be greater than he, and his descendants will become a group of nations” he blessed them that day and said “In your name will Israel pronounce his blessing “May God make you like Ephraim and Manasseh ” So he put Ephraim ahead of Manasseh.”
- Israel blessed the younger brother over the elder brother, just as he and his Mother Rebecca had tricked his father Abraham into doing.
- Israel made great claims about Josephs sons.
- “The younger son will be greater than the older” In my case and in my son’s case also.
Thursday– Genesis 49:22-26
Scripture- “Joseph is a fruitful vine, a fruitful vine near a spring, whose branches climb over a wall. With bitterness archers attack him, they shot at him with hostility. But this bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the mighty Jacob, because of the Shepard, the rock of Israel, because of your father’s God, who helps you, because of the almighty who blesses you, with blessings of the sky above, blessings of the deep springs below, blessings of the breast and womb. Your father’s blessings are greater than the blessings of the ancient mountains, than the bounty of the age-old hills. Let all those rest on the head of Joseph, ont he brow of the prince among his brothers.”
- Israel called all his sons to him on his death-bed to give them blessings
- Israel understood that Joseph was walking with the Lord and was protected by that.
- I am like the fruitful vine, bitterness archers also attacked me with hostility. I remained stead and turned to the Lord for guidance.
- I have the blessings of my father’s GOD who helps me!
Friday- Genesis 50:24-26
Scripture- “Then Joseph said to his brothers”I am about to die. But God will surely come to your aid and take you out of this land to the land promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob” And Joseph made the Israelites swear an oath and said “GOD will surely come to your aid, and then you must carry my bones up from this place” So Joseph died at the age of a Hundred and ten. And after they embalmed him, he was placed in a coffin in Egypt.”
- Jacob died and was returned to the cave in Canaan to be buried with his wife.
- Joseph lived to one hundred and ten years and revealed to his brothers the oath between God and Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
- Joseph walked with the Lord which meant he was lifted to a position of great power and had the ability to help his family, even though they meant to harm him.
- Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph, four generations of men who walked faithfully with the Lord.
If anyone had said to be a year ago that I would be reading the bible and doing bible studies and getting so hooked into the word that I would miss the key players of Genesis when we finished reading it, I would have laughed.
Because twelve months ago, I was not in the place I am now. Now I look back on my recent past and I see that God has been calling me and suddenly in July this year I heard him.. why? how? I do not know, other than to say suddenly I was ready to hear and learn all I can about Jesus, and God and all the people in the bible. I am so very thankful that I found Courtney James over at Good Morning Girls, who has made my journey easy and enjoyable.
Tomorrow we start the Psalms and we read that all of December and we are also doing an advent study alongside our Psalms.
Why don’t you come and join us? you can find out more information right here: http://womenlivingwell.org/