Welcome to my weekly feature.. “Spiritual Sundays.” I am making this a permanent feature, since I do not think I’ll be giving up my Bible studies any time soon. So I made myself a fancy logo to go with it.
I am doing my Spiritual Sunday’s in conjunction with studies held by Good Morning Girls.
So if at anytime you’d like to join in, head over to Courtney’s website and find out more on how to do that.. http://www.womenlivingwell.com
We finished the book of Genesis last week and so we have moved on to Psalms. Just before we started Genesis we had a spare few days so we read Psalm one and Psalm two… Previously we learnt this…
Psalm 1:3 & 4
Scripture- “That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not whiter whatever they do prospers. Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away.
Application- The Lords word gives believers strength, listen to the Lords word and all will be well, the wicked (unbelievers) will curl up and die.
Scripture- “Why do nations conspire and the people plot in vain? The Kings of the earth rise up ad the rulers band together against the Lord and his anointed saying ” Let us break the chains and throw off their shackles”
Application- The lesser people are planning to try to take over, the unbelievers and sinners. Throwing off their shackles and being set free.
So this week.. we learnt this…
Monday- Psalm 3: 3 & 4
Scripture- “But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the one who lists my head high. I call out to the Lord, and he answers me from his holy mountain.
Application- Wear the Lords word as a shield to keep you safe from harm. When you call out to the Lord his word will act as a shield to keep you safe.
Tuesday– Psalm 4:1& 2
Scripture- “Answer me when I call you, my righteous god, give me relief from my distress: have mercy on me and hear my prayer. How long will you people turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?”
Application- David knew there is only ONE God and wondered who long other people would seek false Gods.
Wednesday- Psalm 5:11 & 12
Scripture– “But Let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. Surely Lord, you bless the righteousness, you surround then with your favor as with a shield”
Application- Seek the Lord and be glad of his word, those who do will be protected as though from a shield
Thursday- Psalm 6:6-9
Scripture- I am worn out from my groaning, all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow, they fail because of all my foes, Away from me, all who do evil, for the Lord too heard my weeping, The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer.”
- Instead of wearing yourself out with your tears and groaning, seek the Lord for reassurance.
- The Lord hears your prayers for mercy and accepts heartfelt prayers.
Friday- Psalm 7:10 & 11.
Scripture- “My shield is God most high, who saves the upright in heart. God is a righteous judge, a God who displays his wrath every day.”
- Believe that God is righteous and will shield those who are true of heart,
- David believes that God will shield him from harm.
Advent Study-Keeping our hearts focused on Jesus.
Monday– Read- John 1:1-4
Scripture- “In the Beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. He was with God in the Beginning. Through him all things were made, without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.”
- God created the world and everything in it.
- Without God nothing would exist.
- In God was life from which all man kind was created.
Tuesday- Read- John 1:9-12
Scripture- The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, they did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.”
- God is the light that we should follow at all times especially in the dark and troubled times.
- God Sent his son Jesus in human form so that we would get to know of his word.
- When we believe that Jesus died for our sins, we will be admitted to heaven.
Wednesday- Read- Jeremiah 33:14 & 15.
Scripture- “The days are coming” declares the Lord. “When I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah. In those days and at that time, I will make a righteous branch sprout from David’s line, he will do what is just and right in the land.”
- A new Branch (family line) is coming to do what is right and just.
- The Lord rewards those who are loyal and walk with him “I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel (Jacob) and Judah“
Thursday- Read- Isaiah 60:19 & 20
Scripture- “The Sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory. Your Sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more: the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end.”
- By Being in the Lords word, the sun and moon will cease to shine for you, the light will come from the Lord.
- You will not have birth and death, or sorrow but rather find everlasting life when you walk with the Lord.
Friday- Read- Romans 15:12 & 13.
Scripture- “And once again, Isaiah says “The root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over nations; in him the gentiles will hope. May the God of hope, fill you with all the joy and peace as you trust in his, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit.”
- Isiah is foretelling the birth of Christ.
- “The one who will arise to rule over nations” is Jesus.
- Jesus and our faith in him, brings us hope and joy but also peace knowing that by trusting in Jesus we are also gaining God’s love and protection.