Q- We’re entering the final days of 2014 — how did you do on your New Year’s resolutions these past 11.75 months? Is there any leftover item to be carried over to 2015?
A- I didn’t do so well with my New Years resolutions this year, and normally I would be disappointed about it but I am in a space now where I have taken a different path and so those things don’t seem to bother me as much.. let’s see what I ” thought” I wanted to do for 2014..
- Learn Embroidery.. (it sounded good at the time, but what will I do with it once I know it? and who had time?)
- Re-Learn Folk Art- I don’t think it would have been wasted and maybe one day I will re learn it but this year I barely touched my art supplies anyways so it doesn’t matter.
- The Year of the house.. Hmm… again it didn’t happen, we got Star Son’s room done and he’s happy but there has been some major coming and going in our house this year we just haven’t had time to paint and decorate.. it’ll happen some time. (Part of this “Decorate my bedroom” has been carried over to 2015, it’s overdue!)
- Maybe there was more but I can’t remember.
So if that’s what I DID NOT do, what have I been doing instead?
- I spent the first Six months of this year looking after my Sweetpea to allow my Number Two daughter to return to study and find a job. Then they moved out of home to experience life differently and within week Number One daughter and Squishy had moved in, so I spent the second six months of the year watching Squishy so that my daughter could change careers and get herself established in her new work, living here she saved money as well.
- In July, I decided to try being a Christian, I decided to attempt to read the bible and see “what all the fuss was about” well, that has been the biggest life change for me and I am SO glad that I did find the Lord. I have been studying A LOT to learn as much as I can to have a personal relationship with The Lord. I have been very lucky to have two wonderful penpals who are always willing to help me figure out things and direct me to where I might find an answer or guidance. I met Pastor Frank and he has been wonderful, helping me with questions and worries and loaning me his own books so that I can learn more about being a Christian and also about the Lutheran Church. Which leads into 2015’s Resolution “Get Deeper into God’s word” I also was fortunate enough to do two mini Christian Art Classes and they really kicked things up a notch, suddenly I was able to put words to paintings and it made more sense. I have done various bible studies and other small group studies and loved every minute of it. Let me be perfectly honest when I started reading in July, I wondered if this would be a “thing” that I would get over and give up, but I apparently read the right book first “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren because the questions and answers that come from that made me want to know more, and do more. 2015 I will be exploring more and digging deeper both through my bible studies and also a new Christian Art group which is running a year-long bible study but with Art!
- I did two Zetangle art classes with my cousin and way back in January I did a live art class with a local artist which I really loved!
- I spent quality time with Grand babies, this first year when so much changes even daily, and they are learning so many new things and I am truly blessed that I got to sped so much time with them. I spent quality time with my husband and my son on various camping trips, we make a nice little trio of campers. January we went to Alexandria in Victoria, Easter we traveled to Queensland to a family thing but also some great camping as well. November was Wentworth New South Wales, on the banks of the Darling River. And to think 5 years ago when my husband suggested camping I was ready to leave him! Idiot.. imagine how much fun I’ve missed out on.
- I started doing the “Daniel Plan” another book with Rick Warren and various others, it’s based on the Five F’s- Faith, family, fun, food and fitness, up to now I have lost 6 kilograms and 12 inches from various body parts and given up coffee, sugar, glutens and dairy and don’t miss them at all.
Overall, I think my year has been a great learning year and I don’t miss the resolutions that I didn’t get to do. Next year I am making less resolutions but they will be more involved.
- 2015- Get Deeper into God’s Word.
- 2015- Year of Australian Writing
- 2015- New Recipe a fortnight
- 2015- Do More Art! (Shouldn’t be hard I did minimal this year!)
So keep watching for updates on this blog!